Saturday, August 11, 2012

Blog Post Highlight: Simplifying Radicals: Grade Conversions

I have struggled a lot the past few years when it came to giving grades.  There were times when I gave students the same grade that were not really on the same level in terms of knowledge and comprehension.  Also, I feel that the stronger students should be getting the better grades in the end.  Then I came upon a blog post that took the idea of being proficient and high performing into account and has a really neat/easy way to convert the grades.

I will need to create a list of outcomes for each unit (similar to the topics list I made for last year) then go from there.  I think this will be a great way to differentiate between the average student and the above average student.  I already have a google spreadsheet that allows me to identify those students who are average, mastered, etc. which I will use to help keep track of the outcomes.  This idea is standards based grading in a way that makes me happy.

The focus would be on the level of completion for each outcome and how those outcomes fall overall in terms of # of proficient outcomes and # of high performing outcomes.  Proficient for me would be - here's a problem, solve.  High performing for me would be word problems or added steps or giving the answer and having students create a problem that fits, etc. - high order thinking.

To read more detail on this - check out the blog post:

Simplifying Radicals: Grade Conversions: Let's discuss how to convert all of those Ns, Ps, and Hs into a number grade.  Ideally, you don't want to do this, but I don't think student...

No comments:

Post a Comment