Sunday, June 3, 2012

Unit 0: Intro & Construction "Construction Zone" Geo

Turned my attention last night to Geometry (Honors Geometry) and my Google Class site. Right now, the Intro unit is the same for both Honors and Regular Geometry - this is a great gauge to see how actually "honors" my Honors students will be - expectation = they work quicker and more successfully through this unit . . . we will see.

Unit 0 - Below are the Common Core State Standards for the Unit.


G.CO.12 Make formal geometric constructions with a variety of tools and methods (compass and straightedge, string, reflective devices, paper folding, dynamic geometric software, etc.).
  • Copying a segment;
  • Copying an angle;
  • Bisecting a segment;
  • Bisecting an angle;
  • Constructing perpendicular lines, including the perpendicular bisector of a line segment;
  • Constructing a line parallel to a given line through a point not on the line.
"G.CO.13 Construct an 
  • Equilateral triangle
  • Square
  • Regular hexagon inscribed in a circle.
My focus for this Unit is getting the students accustomed to using GeoGebra.  Big picture:  I hope and plan to use GeoGebra a lot during this school year.

I am still working on the idea of having GeoGebra on the Acer tablet and hopefully by summer's end I am successful.  If not, looks like I'll be using laptops at school which is okay, but hurts my students ability to work ahead and control their own progress.

I have created a GeoGebra Essentials Series which is made up of 9 lessons.  Each one is an introduction to the buttons, action keys, and all the other ins and outs of the program.  I must give mass props to www.mathandmultimedia.com who put all the lessons on his website - I modified the lessons to fit my needs but a lot of the underlying information is his.  If you want to find out information on GeoGebra and more technology options for the classroom, then visit mathandmultimedia.com.

Future goals for Geometry/Honor Geometry:
  • The students will create a e-portfolio (google site - need to create the template)
    • post each units "challenge"
      • i.e.  equilateral triangle construction
      • i.e.  square construction
  • Create "Challenge" list for this unit and subsequent units.
  • Create "assignments" for Geometry(Honors) on itslearning.

No comments:

Post a Comment