Unit 0 - Below are the Common Core State Standards for the Unit.
G.CO.12 Make formal geometric constructions with a variety of tools and methods (compass and straightedge, string, reflective devices, paper folding, dynamic geometric software, etc.).
- Copying a segment;
- Copying an angle;
- Bisecting a segment;
- Bisecting an angle;
- Constructing perpendicular lines, including the perpendicular bisector of a line segment;
- Constructing a line parallel to a given line through a point not on the line.
"G.CO.13 Construct an
- Equilateral triangle
- Regular hexagon inscribed in a circle.
My focus for this Unit is getting the students accustomed to using GeoGebra. Big picture: I hope and plan to use GeoGebra a lot during this school year.
I am still working on the idea of having GeoGebra on the Acer tablet and hopefully by summer's end I am successful. If not, looks like I'll be using laptops at school which is okay, but hurts my students ability to work ahead and control their own progress.
I have created a GeoGebra Essentials Series which is made up of 9 lessons. Each one is an introduction to the buttons, action keys, and all the other ins and outs of the program. I must give mass props to www.mathandmultimedia.com who put all the lessons on his website - I modified the lessons to fit my needs but a lot of the underlying information is his. If you want to find out information on GeoGebra and more technology options for the classroom, then visit mathandmultimedia.com.
Future goals for Geometry/Honor Geometry:
- The students will create a e-portfolio (google site - need to create the template)
- post each units "challenge"
- i.e. equilateral triangle construction
- i.e. square construction
- Create "Challenge" list for this unit and subsequent units.
- Create "assignments" for Geometry(Honors) on itslearning.